In 1940, the MacIntyre Titanium Mine opened in the now ghost town of Tawahus which prompted the Adirondack Railroad, who owned the Sackets Harbor and Saratoga Railroad line at this time, to build a spur to the mine. Despite the rest of the line being abandoned, the Adirondack Railroad continued to service the mine using the line north out of Saratoga Springs. The Delaware and Hudson soon purchased the railroad and the line.
Despite a large quantity of titanium ore remaining at Tahawus, mining of the open pit ended in 1982 and the last load of ore went out by train on November 17, 1989. The plant closed a few weeks later.
Photographed October 2015.